Once upon a time...

... there was a windmill, built in 1610, and used by the local peasants of the Pozieres Lordship, Contalmaison and Courcelette to grind their grain.

For war purposes

In 1915, German soldiers, entrenched in the Northern section of Pozieres, transformed the windmill into an observatory to orientate their artillery fire.

A windmill to destroy

Being in a strategic position, the windmill became a target for the allies. Already damaged in September 1915, its walls could no longer resist and collapsed the following year.

Back it to life

To reconnect with Pozieres’ history, our association wishes to raise the winged giant, and also commemorate the soldiers who fell at its feet.

Pozieres Windmill Reconstruction Association   / Copyright